Trails Club Board Meeting
- March 14, 2018
The meeting was called to order by President Wiegand at 3:30pm in the Creekside Mulligan
Present: Shirley Wiegand, Lynne Forrette,Marvin Schulman, Suresh Gadad, Marilyn Raffinot,
Jan Rosefield, Ellen Gilman, Christine Barclay, Jean Fiske, Jan Jones, Lynn Lively, Larry Ruff.
Absent: Ana Leskovar
The minutes of January’s meeting were approved as distributed via email, and posted on the
- Treasurer: Suresh Gadad provided check detail for Jan.1 - March 13, and profit and loss for the
entire year March14 2017 - March 13 2018. The balance is $9364.39 (after excluding Pt. Reyes
net income of 17,675.20). He also reported that our income tax return for 2017 has been filed.
- Trails committee: Trail steward Larry Barclay reported that the Ad Hoc Trails Planning and
- Maintenance Committee members carrying over are Richard Rex, Rich Perona, Charlene Liu,
- Diane Hinds, and Ta-hsia Kuo.
- February 20 was trails maintenance day for 1.5 miles of the Rockcrest trail. Thank you to Larry
Barclay, Slava Tetelbaum, Nathan Roundy, Rich Perona, Ta-hsia Kyoto, and a guest, Kam, for
their hard work. All work completed so far by GRF has been taken from 2017 funds.
- Yosemite safari : Harriet Schwartz distributed a report by Bob Howell.
- March Potluck125 people attended, and the event came in under budget. Idelle Lipman and
- Leslie Platto have volunteered to do the potluck again next year.
- Rambler Reps reported on their problem of lack of leaders. They have collected data and are
proceeding to a plan of action.
- Sumner Walters , who is no longer hiking with the Amblers, spoke to the meeting about his
long experience with the club (40years !), and his experience as an aging hiker. His inspirational
words reminded us all to be kind to each other and respect those who slow down because of
- Unfinished Business:
Increased Locker Space Will be impossible to obtain. In the coming months, some volunteers
will try to reorganize existing space to hopefully make more room.
Type to enter text
- Changes in Language First, new language on Health Issues when Attending Safaris was
accepted and approved. The new language will be included in all safari applications.
- Secondly, new language re: hike leaders’ responsibility and authority. The motion was made for
the paragraph to be removed from Hiking Guidelines and become policy; discussion followed.
In addition to becoming policy, the paragraph will be posted at the gathering place at Gateway,
and entered in the directory. It reads as follows:
- Hike leaders are responsible for choosing the hiking trail and leading the group. Based on their
best judgement that a hiker is not capable of completing the hike and/or is not properly
equipped for the hike (water, poles, shoes, etc.), the leader has the authority to deny
participation in the hike. During the hike, each hiker must follow the hike leader’s directions
concerning any aspect of the hike. Each hiker assumes all risks involved in the activities of the
group and is responsible for his or her own health and safety.
- New Business:
- Cambria 2019 Safari: A contract has been signed with the hotel and planning is going forward.
- Trails Club 50th Birthday: will be celebrated at the Patio Party. Various ideas were presented
for audio-visual documenting of the event.
- New officer recruitment: Suresh Gadad proposed Nathan Roundy to replace him after his
retirement as treasurer.They will be working together until the October meeting when he will be
formally nominated. The club will also need a new registrar to replace Steve Batill. President
- Wiegand will send out a recruitment email.
- Harriet Schwartz displayed a plastic case and tag that contains identification and medical
information. It is used by at least one other hiking club. The cost is $41 for 100 of the plastic
cases, but does not include the ID card. No action was taken.
- The meeting was adjourned at 16:56 pm.
- Respectfully submitted,
- Marilyn Raffinot, secretary